The Black Isle Railway was originally a branch of the Highland Railway network.
It carried passengers from 1894 until 1951 (freight until 1960) and ran from Muir of Ord to Fortrose with intermediary stations at Redcastle, Allangrange, Munlochy and Avoch.
Much of the railway track and many of the former railway structures have been lost. However, the enthusiast can trace parts of the original route and a few of the original railway buildings still exist.
The old train station was found abandoned and left to its own devise. Since 1991, a long and continuous effort has restored the building.
A conscious effort is been made to keep it as original as possible.
The photograph, for example, shows Redcastle Station, the only remaining station building on the 13-mile branch line.